South Africa is one of the largest countries on the African continent, but also the southernmost of Africa (the most southerly), marked by the famous Cape of Good Hope. It is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean to the west and by the Indian Ocean to the east.
Two independent states are landlocked there: Lesotho and Swaziland.
The country is divided into 9 distinct parts called provinces. They each have their own government and govern these provinces at all levels except fiscal autonomy.
These provinces are:
- Eastern Cape (Eastern Cape), capital Bisho.
- Free State, capital Bloemfontein.
- Gauteng, capital is Johannesburg.
- Kwazulu Natal, co-capital of Ulundi and Pietermaritzburg.
- Mpumalanga, capital Nelspruit.
- Northern Cape, the capital Kimberley.
- Limpopo, the capital of Pietersburg.
- North West (North West Province), capital Mafeking.
- Western Cape (Western Cape), capital Cape Town.